Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Evening Observations

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

5:00 pm: I observed the nesting hole for about 15 minutes. There was no motion or sound from the hole. I watched the clouds build up and get darker before I headed for the house. The bird song seemed subdued.

On the way back to the house, I stopped at the propane tank to look under the hood. On Sunday, Barry found the beginning of a nest and cleaned it out. Today, there is more debris. It's tempting to leave it and see if we get eggs, but not a good idea for our heating system.




















8:10 pm: I came back to check on the nest hole. Again, there was no movement in the hole, but a tiny piece of gray fluff was stuck on the edge of the hole. While I had my binoculars trained on the nest hole, the female flicker stuck her head out!! That's the first time I've seen her for sure. Then she flew out and didn't come back while I was there. It started raining and I went in.

Good night, sweet birds!!

No comments:

Post a Comment