Tuesday, May 10, 2016

What is the Northern Flicker doing in that nest?

May 10, 2016
I visited the Northern Flicker nest several times today. I saw a head in the hole briefly. I wonder if it is brooding eggs?

According to www.allaboutbirds.org, "Both sexes help with nest excavation. The entrance hole is about 3 inches in diameter, and the cavity is 13-16 inches deep. The cavity widens at bottom to make room for eggs and the incubating adult. Inside, the cavity is bare except for a bed of wood chips for the eggs and chicks to rest on. Once nestlings are about 17 days old, they begin clinging to the cavity wall rather than lying on the floor." Also, the eggs incubate for 11-13 days.

So there is hope that I will see baby flickers if I keep looking.

It is getting harder to see the nest hole as the trees keep leafing out. I can recognize the nest tree because the top half is leafless, but the smaller trees around it keep putting out leaves.

Source: www.allaboutgirds.org/guide/Northern_Flicker/lifehistory

No comments:

Post a Comment