Tuesday, May 10, 2016

How do cavity nesters clean the nest?

Who woulda thunk it? I found a blog post on baby bird poop.  It turns out that it is fascinating how neatly Mother Nature has set up baby birds. The poop comes out in a little sac that the adults can hold in their beak and dump outside. The source below has a picture of an Eastern bluebird taking out the trash, so to speak.

That would certainly help in a Northern Flicker nest with no drainage or way for the nestlings to poke their bottoms over the edge of the nest (also shown in this source).

Source:

"http://10000birds.com/what-do-nesting-birds-do-with-all-that-poop.htm"

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this with me! I didn't know you had a blog so I added it to our blog list so I can keep up with your cool sightings. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! I just started it for my ornithology class. I don't know what I will do with it after the class is done, but so far I am enjoying it. I will appreciate all of your comments.

      Delete