Tuesday, May 17, 2016


Monday, May 16, 2016; Nesting Observation

5:30 pm: Approaching the nest from the west as usual, I am listening for activity at the flicker nest site. I don't hear anything.






5:40 pm: A Northern Flicker is approaching the nest from a nearby cherry tree. It didn't go into the nest hole and there didn't seem to be any bird inside of the hole. Maybe I startled it.


Kyeer calls from nearby!! I backed up a little farther away from the nest tree. I see the flicker flying from tree to tree.
I am imagining that the eggs are nice and warm in there, with the residual body heat from the adult.


5:51 pm: The flicker popped into the nest hole. It went so fast that I almost missed seeing it. It did cling to the side of the tree for a moment before it went in head first.

I hear a cardinal calling. I see a blue jay. It's quite quiet now. The sky is very cloudy.

The robins are "calling for rain" in the distance. That's what my parents always called that song. I can't distinguish a difference really between this and the regular song. It just is a song when the day is gloomy and overcast with possible rain in the forecast. It's probably akin to all of the cows lying down when it's going to rain. Myth or fact?

The brown-headed cowbird is on the fencepost. I heard it before I saw it. I think I am learning that song.

No comments:

Post a Comment