Friday, May 13, 2016

Friday, May 13, 2016   Observation #4B

4:20pm, A pair of brown-headed cowbirds are near the nest. The male is singing. The female is following him.

The male flicker is still in the nest. I can see his head.

A catbird is calling close by. The little green cherries are getting bigger on the tree. I think I can see the difference since Wednesday.







A field sparrow is calling. The goats are eating nearby. This is a peaceful spot to hang out and watch the flicker who is, hopefully, incubating eggs.








Earlier today I saw a small piece of gray fluff (downy feather) on the edge of the nest hole. I guess he snagged it on the way out or in, so he's not in the nest all of the time.








4:36 pm, He just took off!!! I wish I had had my camera up at the time. He poked his head out several times, I wondered if I should try to take his photo again, but before I could decide to take a photo, he pulled his whole body out and flew away. I watched for a total of 13 minutes and he didn't go back into the hole. I didn't see him again, but I heard the "kyeer" call (see: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Northern_Flicker/sounds) 5 times.

I saw a song sparrow in the bushes. Robins are calling.

It's time to feed the chickens and ducks.

Ended: 4:49 pm.

Addendum: about 5:40 pm after I fed the poultry, I walked by the nest hole and surprised an adult flicker from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment